April 8, 2012

Holy Week-Easter 2012- A White Easter


Today I woke up to what I think was a strange sight. A fresh cost of snow covering the ground on Easter morning. Which was a little odd, but it was great reminder.

First I found it odd because in a lot of ways the snow was at odds with so much of the Easter imagery I am used to seeing.


There were no budding flowers.
There were no cheeping chicks.
I saw no small hoping bunnies.
There was a total absence of leaves budding.

In fact 'new life' was almost undetectable as far as the eye could see. All I could see was fresh, white, pristine, undisturbed snow.

And the snow for me was a great reminder of the real Easter. Away from the cutesy pictures of bunnies, and chicks. Away from the grass and the lilies. Away from chocolate eggs and jelly beans. When we move past all of those trapping we find a promise from God,

“Come now, let us settle the matter,” 
   says the LORD. 
“Though your sins are like scarlet, 
   they shall be as white as snow; 
though they are red as crimson, 
   they shall be like wool. Isaiah 1:18.

On Sunday, three days after Christ was placed in the tomb the matter was firmly and wildly proclaimed settled. Christ who died for us on Good Friday rose triumphantly on Sunday death and sin were vanquished.

Because of Jesus my Lord my soul once marred by sin has been made like pure white snow. Thank you God for the reminder this morning what Easter truly is all about.  




We Had A Green Christmas and A White Easter
You've Got To Love The East Coast